Sewing is a craft that’s been around for centuries and is a relaxing activity for many. We have an essential learning-to-sew guide for beginners if you’re starting out.
Are you ready to begin your sewing adventure? You’ll need minimal supplies for this accessible craft if you want to stitch by hand. Let’s explore what equipment you’ll need to start and set yourself up for success in the long run. There are sewing kits available to purchase if you’re looking to mend a few pairs of socks, but if you want to do more, you should assemble a personal stash.
A list of supplies that may come in handy includes:
- Measuring tape
- Pattern weights
- Sewing scissors
- Seam ripper
- A needle threader
- Fabric markers
- A sewing machine
- A rotary cutter
What To Sew First
It may be tempting to dive into an ambitious project, but it’s best to start with something simple and small then work your way up. A great place to start is making a cushion cover. Cushion covers are simple to sew, and most errors will be unnoticeable. Plus, you can finish this project quickly, allowing you to practice your sewing skills.
Basic Sewing Skills To Learn
The first thing to accomplish is how to use a sewing pattern. This skill is essential for any sewer. Before starting a pattern, check which fabric you should use, or your project may not turn out as expected.
Six basic sewing skills to learn are:
- Sewing buttonholes—a vital dressmaking skill
- Sewing on buttons—learn this skill if it’s the only one you remember. It will come in handy in a fashion emergency
- Understanding what fabric to use—the wrong material can ruin a project
- Using a sewing pattern—patterns guide you through projects
- Sewing jersey fabric—jersey fabric is stretchy and challenging to sew
- Embroidering—adding decorative details to your finished projects can take them to the next level
Now that you have the basic knowledge from an essential learning-to-sew guide for beginners, you’re ready to begin your sewing adventure! Express Knit is your one-stop shop for knit fabric online. We’ll make all your sewing dreams come true by offering high-quality materials.